Thursday 23 August 2012

The Fault in our Stars by John Green

Title; The Fault in our Stars

Author; John Green

Publisher; Penguin

Publication Date; January 10th 2012

Series; Not part of one

Description; Diagnosed with Stage IV thyroid cancer at 13, Hazel was prepared to die until, at 14, a medical miracle shrunk the tumours in her lungs... for now.

Two years post-miracle, sixteen-year-old Hazel is post-everything else, too; post-high school, post-friends and post-normalcy. And even though she could live for a long time (whatever that means), Hazel lives tethered to an oxygen tank, the tumours tenuously kept at bay with a constant chemical assault.

Enter Augustus Waters. A match made at cancer kid support group, Augustus is gorgeous, in remission, and shockingly to her, interested in Hazel. Being with Augustus is both an unexpected destination and a long-needed journey, pushing Hazel to re-examine how sickness and health, life and death, will define her and the legacy that everyone leaves behind.

Star Rating; If I could give it any more than five stars I would, but I can't. So five stars it is!

Would I read anything else by this author? Yes, this is actually my second book by John Green, but I want to read all of his books. (I have previously read - and loved - Paper Towns.)

Would I recommend this book? Yes. I 100% recommend this book

Who would I recommend it to? Everybody. You need to read this book.

Review; What do you say about a book as good as The Fault in our Stars? Honestly I don't know, I'm still having trouble forming a coherent thought. And making sure the relentless tears don't flow again...
Was there anything wrong with this book? Not that I could find. The only problem I have with The Fault in our Stars is the major headache it gave me from all the crying.
Usually you can tell how I feel about a book by how long it takes me to read it. If it takes me a few days and sessions then I'm not that fond of it. If I read a book in one 6 hour session then I am in love with it. The Fault in out Stars falls into the latter category. It was dark outside when I picked this book up, it is not light and gone 7AM.
The characters. Oh, how I loved the characters. Augustus Waters, I think I fell in love with him. (Can I ship Augustus Waters with myself?) Hazel, I loved her character too. I also enjoyed Isaac's character. But Augustus was my favourite character by a mile.
Honestly what happened was unexpected. I was expecting to cry at the end of the book only, like I did with Before I Die by Jenny Downham, but instead I was pretty much sobbing from the get go. Never before have I cried so much during one book. I'm glad I read it whilst everybody else was sleeping!
The Fault in our Stars is yet another amazing book by John Green. If you haven't read it yet then I recommend you go to your nearest book store straight away. Or, you know, order it online. This book really does make you feel all of the things!

No comments:

Post a Comment