Saturday 12 October 2013

Cheating at Solitaire by Ally Carter



Title; Cheating at Solitaire
Author; Ally Carter
Source; Amazon, Paid
Format; Paperback
Publisher; Berkley Trade
Publication Date; December 6th 2005
Rating; 5*s
Description; Self-help guru Julia James is so good at being single that she's become famous for it-advising women that they don't need a man to be happy. Then the unthinkable happens. Just when her newest book, 101 Ways to Cheat at Solitaire, is about to hit stores, a trumped-up piece of gossip linking her to a gorgeous actor hits the papers. Their pictures are splashed all over the tabloids, and now Julia's credibility is about to hit rock bottom. But she isn't going down without a fight. Unless, that is, the actor is going down with her.

Review;
I first picked up an Ally Carter book late last year. It was the first in the Gallagher Girls series and I was...skeptical. Because she was such a popular author and it was a popular series, that usually doesn't mean good things for me and books. 

Since then? I've read almost every book that Ally Carter has currently published. I'm up to date with the Heist Society books, I've completed the Gallagher Girls series...and now I've read Cheating at Solitaire. 

This book, I don't think I'll ever forget it. Sure, Ally Carter's YA books are fun, and I absolutely love them, but this one hit me on more of an emotional level than any of Ally Carter's other books so far. 

Not just in a make-you-cry way, but also in a life changing way. Those little bits from 101 Ways to Cheat at Solitaire, and just bits from the book in general... They makes me want to change, for me, and to accept things as they are, and to do something. 

There is nothing better in the world than a book that not only makes you cry, but makes a difference to you. Whether it be an inside or a positive outside difference. 

Ally Carter deserves every single 5 star rating I have given to the books that I have read of hers. She deserves the praise she gets for Heist Society and Gallagher girls, and the praise she gets for this book, even though it is lesser known.

To my author side, her writing is an inspiration. To my reader side, her writing is amazing. 

If you have not had the chance to read an Ally Carter book yet, please do. Even the Gallagher Girls series which seems mostly intended for preteens and young teens is good for older readers. 

The main characters in this book were definitely likeable. I can't wait to glimpse into their lives a little more in Learning to Play Gin. They were also believeable. 

I cannot find a flaw within this book. I loved it so much. I loved it so much that anything I could possibly consider a flaw has been overshadowed by all of the good in the book. And here I was thinking I was going to be hit with Reader's Block soon. 

I do not only recommend this book, I recommend all of Ally Carter's books.

It has been about a year since I first picked up one of her books and I definitely plan to read more in the years to come. Even if this is my first review for a book of hers. 

Trust me, you do not want to miss out on Ally Carter's books. 

No comments:

Post a Comment