Wednesday 6 January 2016

Review: The Diviners by Libba Bray

A/N: Sorry I've been so MIA. The last few months of the year are always busy for me and last year...I went through a MAJOR reading slump, but I'm (hopefully) back and (hopefully) better than ever!

Title: The Diviners
Author; Libba Bray
Series: The Diviners (#1) (Currently an incomplete series)
Source: Christmas Present
Format: Hardback
Description: Evie O’Neill has been exiled from her boring old hometown and shipped off to the bustling streets of New York City—and she is pos-i-tute-ly ecstatic. It’s 1926, and New York is filled with speakeasies, Ziegfeld girls, and rakish pickpockets. The only catch is that she has to live with her uncle Will and his unhealthy obsession with the occult.

Evie worries he’ll discover her darkest secret: a supernatural power that has only brought her trouble so far. But when the police find a murdered girl branded with a cryptic symbol and Will is called to the scene, Evie realizes her gift could help catch a serial killer.

As Evie jumps headlong into a dance with a murderer, other stories unfold in the city that never sleeps. A young man named Memphis is caught between two worlds. A chorus girl named Theta is running from her past. A student named Jericho hides a shocking secret. And unknown to all, something dark and evil has awakened.

My Rating: 5*s
My Review: In my opinion Libba Bray is a great world builder. I was there, in the 1920's with Evie and Memphis, and Theta. When they were scared, I was scared. When they laughed, I laughed.

I was introduced to the works of Libba Bray through random booktube hopping. Everybody was raving for Beauty Queens, so I took the dive, and I too fell in love. I knew from then I had to see what else she could offer me, and thus far she has not disappointed.

The Diviners shows me a different side of Libba Bray, one with monsters and several intricate lives woven into one story. With plotlines that keep you guessing and wanting more. I can't wait to get the next book in the series, I have so many unanswered question. And (kind of a spoiler here, but nothing to do with the storyline itself) it didn't even end in a cliffhanger, which is what usually keeps me coming back to a series.

If I was disappointed with anything...it would have the be the ending... It felt so anticlimactic. I mean, I know there are more books in the series, but the ending was just a little dull for me. It could have probably done without the last chapter, but then that's just my opinion.

This one is a definite recommendation.

No comments:

Post a Comment